Saturday, April 16

small changes saturday v.1

Last weekend while grocery shopping, I compared the price between two bottles of maple flavored syrup and was prompted to take a look at the labels. Here are the ingredients from one of them, pulled from the company website:
INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.
I decided right then and there that I would rather spend a little extra to buy real maple syrup. It tastes so much better and is so much better for you! Do you know what any of those above ingredients are? I recognize the corn syrups and water. High fructose corn syrup is a highly processed sweetener. If you read labels, you would be shocked to discover how many foods include HFCS today. I usually buy this maple flavored syrup because it's dirt cheap and reasonably delicious. We used to reserve the real stuff for holiday presents because of the higher expense, but I'd rather cut $4 from some other monthly expense than serve pure corn syrup to my dear husband and eventually sweet Iris.

Recently, a University of Rhode Island researcher discovered over two dozen new compounds found in pure maple syrup that are linked to human heath. The compounds are not only beneficial to health but may also lead scientists to discovering new cures for diseases. Now, I can enjoy my pancakes and feel great about them too!

And now for your enjoyment, a cat with a pancake. He enjoys them with syrup too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment